Groups meeting at St. Mark
The St. Mark Campus is closed at least through June 1 in accordance with CDC recommendations.
- Alcoholics Anonymous and Al-Anon
A number of 12 Step meetings occur each week at St. Mark Lutheran Church. Below is the weekly schedule. The meetings are held at the Discipleship Center at 1105 Grand Avenue, West Des Moines.
- Monday – 6:00pm Alcoholics Anonymous
- Tuesday – 8:00pm Alcoholics Anonymous and Al-Anon
- Friday – 7:00pm Alcoholics Anonymous and Al-Anon
- Saturday – 7:00pm Alcoholics Anonymous
- Weight Watchers
- Tuesday – 6:30pm – Meets in the Discipleship Center.
Ministries We Support
- Lutheran Clothes Closet
Looking for a place to donate bedding, linens, and clothing? You can drop items off in the container provided in Fellowship Hall any time during regular business hours or on Sunday. All items are taken to The Clothes Closet located in the basement of Capitol Hill Lutheran Church which is a free distribution site for needy families from all over the metro area. Those items in almost new condition are taken to the Lutheran Hospital Not New Shop.
- West Des Moines Human Services
The organization has been assisting low-income, elderly, and disabled residents since 1979. They currently provide assistance to more than 1,600 households in West Des Moines and surrounding western suburbs. Examples of their help includes emergency assistance for rent and utilities, transportation, handyman services, youth recreational assistance, clothing and food assistance in addition to many other programs for those struggling with poverty.
- Des Moines Area Religious Council – Personal Products Pantry
Do you have a drawer full of those little soaps and shampoos that you get when you travel? St. Mark collects those for the Des Moines Area Religious Council Personal Products Pantry. There is a basket in the Community Service corner of Fellowship Hall for the collection of these items. These items are taken to West Des Moines Human Services where they are distributed free to local residents who otherwise would go without.
- Iowa Methodist and Iowa Lutheran Hospitals – Magazine Drop Off
Did you know we also have a magazine drop off in Fellowship Hall? Drop off your recently read magazines so they can be shared with hospitalized individuals and their families.
Where We Serve
- Central Iowa Shelter and Services (CISS)
St. Mark provides and serves an evening meal at times throughout the year to approximately 200 people at Central Iowa Shelter & Services in downtown Des Moines. CISS offers temporary housing for homeless women and men in our community as well as a variety of other learning and support programs. You can join in this service ministry of St. Mark in these ways:
• make a special offering of $2 to cover our cost of one meal
• bake a pan of dessert bars
• be one of 12-14 volunteers who go to CISS from 5:30-7:30pm to prepare and serve the meal. Interested in volunteering? Contact Kim Krog or Ronda Pierce.
- Connection Cafe
St. Mark volunteers help serve meals at the Connection Café. Monetary donations are also needed to provide the meal, as well as 30 dozen cookies each month. We serve 160 people for lunch at a cost of $2.50/per person. If you can help, contact Kim Krog or Ronda Pierce.